The only best management practice (BMP) that creates optimal conditions for removing significant amounts of sediment from runoff waters is a properly designed, installed, and maintained sediment basin/trap. Also known as sediment containment systems (SCSs), these designed structures have the potential to remove 75% or more of the suspended solids found in runoff waters.
The design of a sediment basin/trap is much more complex than simply capturing a specific volume of runoff from contributing watersheds. However, it is possible to estimate the parameters of an effective SCS without complex equations.
Join Forester University for this live, educational webinar as best-selling author and returning speaker Jerald Fifield, Ph.D., CISEC, dispels the notion of minimum containment volume as the only criteria for designing an SCS and discusses other important features of an effective construction site SCS.
This course will cover why most sediment basins are detention (as opposed to retention) structures and explore crucial design considerations, such as incorporating an optimal geometric shape, providing enough detention time for suspended particles in runoff waters to fall, ensuring adequate fall distances exist and assessing flood flow discharge conditions.
By participating in this webinar, attendees will:
- Discover the possibility of estimating the parameters of an effective sediment containment system (SCS) without complex equations
- Review the purpose of sediment basins/traps and why retention ponds are not practical for construction
- Learn why the minimum containment volume should not be the only criteria for designing an SCS
- Identify the important features of an effective construction site SCS
- Explore crucial SCS design parameters and considerations
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at email@example.com
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentation may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency has different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.