Constance Hornig, Esq.
MSW Contracts Counsel, Law Offices
Constance Hornig, Esq., an attorney specializing in municipal solid waste affairs from contract procurement to regulatory enforcement, brings more than 35 years of industry experience to Forester University. Representing both small and large public and NGO entities from around the world, Hornig has provided legal counsel to over 50 cities, counties, special districts, and state agencies for environmental policy, planning, financing, operations and enforcement issues. Examples of her previous work include:
- MSW Policy: Hornig is a long-standing member of SWANA’s (Solid Waste Association of North America) Policy Committee and its CA Legislative Task Force, as well as a legal representative on SWANA’s International Board and Executive Committee.
- MSW Planning: Hornig is presently part of the consortium developing a World Bank funded Integrated Solid Waste Management Plan for Azerbaijan, providing statutory review-and-comment and regulatory/structural recommendations. Hornig similarly helps local jurisdictions draft integrated MSW plans, including plans for collection programs, record keeping, and waste diversion reporting.
- MSW Financing: Hornig began practicing on Wall Street as a municipal bond counsel for capital funding of bond issues to finance waste-to-energy. She also studied Japan’s successful refuse incineration projects on a Fulbright Fellowship and is currently helping local governments develop infrastructure such as transfer stations and MRFs.
- MSW Operations: Hornig drafts, procures, and negotiates MSW service and operating agreements for landfills and household hazardous waste handling.
- MSW Enforcement: Hornig advises public entities on compliance with law and regulation in regards to closing burn dumps, achieving waste diversion mandates, and facilitating landfill closure and remediation.
Hornig graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University and earned her Juris Doctorate from the University of Chicago. Since Harvard, she has become a member of the New York and California bars in the Environmental Law Section, as well as the American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources. Hornig’s federal government experience includes work in the Department of Justice and the former Department of Health, Education and Welfare. Currently, she is the owner of the Law Offices of Constance Hornig located in Los Angeles, California.