In the last two decades, the spotlight on air and ash emissions from municipal waste combustors (MWCs) has grown brighter by the year, spurring the emergence of a brand new class of environmentally benign technologies and alternatives – Conversion Technologies.
Get the 411 on emerging conversion technologies! Join Walter Niessen for the second session in our 3-part Incineration Master Class Series exploring the emerging conversion technologies, key characteristics and differences between these emerging technologies and conventional “mass burn” and refuse-driven fuel, the associated process streams and sidestreams, and the options in conversion system designs now appearing in the marketplace and their applications.
In this presentation, we’ll delve into the emerging conversion technologies, their key elements and differentiators from traditional combustors, their design and operating characteristics, and their process flow and steps (pre-processing, general heating, etc.). Within this discussion, we’ll detail the features of system alternatives for conversion technologies, including: pyrolysis heating; hot gas surface contact heating; direct heating; and partial combustion heating. Additionally, we’ll cover the principals of gasification processes; the resulting steams, sidestreams, and residues; and we’ll explore the utilization options for the synthesis gas generated by conversion technologies. Niessen will detail and discuss the alternatives in conversion technologies, including: Pan American Resources, International Environmental Solutions, SilvaGas, Alter NRG, InEnTec LLC, TPS Termiska, Ebara TwinRec Technology, Nippon Steel DMF, Consutech Air Oxidized Hearth Gasifier alternative, and Thermoselect. And finally, we’ll complete our course with a discussion of the issues and challenges of selecting advanced technologies, and a recommended approach to effective system selection.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following learning objectives.
- Learn the basic pattern differentiating conversion from combustion processing technology
- Learn the basic flowsheet steps for conversion technologies
- Learn the elements of the pre-processing and general heating steps for conversion technologies
- Learn the features of conversion technology alternatives, including: pyrolysis heating alternatives; hot gas surface contact heating alternatives; direct heating alternatives, and partial combustion heating alternatives.
- Understand the principles of gasification processes
- Learn about the process steams, sidestreams, and residues arising from operations
- Learn about alternatives in conversion technologies, including: Pan American Resources, International Environmental Solutions, SilvaGas, Alter NRG, InEnTec LLC, TPS Termiska, Ebara TwinRec Technology, Nippon Steel DMF, Consutech Air Oxidized Hearth Gasifier alternative, and Thermoselect
- Understand the issues and challenges of selecting advanced technologies for public sector waste management facilities
Incineration Master Class Series
This presentation is the first module in our 3-session Incineration Master Class Series. Currently, we are offering the full Master Class Series at a discounted rate. If you are interested in purchasing the full Master Class Series, you can find information and the registration link here.
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentation may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency has different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.