This course is the third installment in our four-part HSPF Hydrology Webinar Series—others include Introduction to HSPF Continuous Simulation; PERLNDs, IMPLNDs, and RCHRESs; and Solving Stormwater Problems with HSPF Modeling. Save 20% and earn 4 PDH / 0.4 CEU with our full-series bundle!
What’s the difference between calibration and validation? And…when is calibration/validation needed in HSPF continuous simulation modeling?
Calibration is the iterative adjustment of parameter values to get a good fit or match of simulated results with observed or recorded data. Validation, on the other hand, is an independent check or comparison of simulated results produced by the calibrated parameter values with a separate time period of recorded data. In a perfect world, a good calibration should also result in a good validation.
Join prolific speaker Doug Beyerlein (P.E., P.H., D.WRE) for this live, educational webinar exploring and comparing calibration parameters, the statistical tests and measures used to evaluate a calibration and/or validation, and when (and when not) to calibrate HSPF parameter values.
We’ll kick off by discussing the various factors and variables that come into play when evaluating whether a calibration is a good calibration. We’ll then examine what distinguishes calibration parameters from other parameters in the HSPF continuous simulation model and which calibration parameters have the greatest impact on simulated results. Next, we’ll evaluate the pros and cons of a number of statistical tests and measures used to determine whether simulated results accurately reproduce and represent the observed hydrology. We’ll conclude by discussing the outside influences that affect calibration and validation and the circumstances in which a calibration/validation is unnecessary.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following learning objectives.
- Learn which parameters are calibration parameters (and which are not).
- Learn how to focus on the significant calibration parameters that have the greatest influence on the simulated results.
- Learn the different statistical tests and measures used in evaluating a calibration and/or validation and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Learn to identify the outside influences that will affect a calibration and validation.
- Learn when a calibration/validation is not needed.
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentations may exceed scheduled time. * Each state and certification agency have different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU. * Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.