Programming Note: This course is Session 3 of our four-part Latest Advances in Landfill Fire Control Webinar Series that also includes The Five Step Method to Landfill Fire Suppression, Controlling the Burn: Landfill Fire Suppression Strategies, and Only You Can Prevent Landfill Fires: Risk Reduction and Prevention BMPs. Sign up for the entire series to receive a built-in 20% discount and earn 4 PDH / 0.4 CEU!
Keeping equipment operators and firefighters safe during a landfill fire is always the top priority.
When landfill fires occur, particularly on larger scales, the toxic smoke and gas emitted can exacerbate respiratory and other health complications in those tasked with extinguishment. And with temperatures able to reach extreme levels during a surface fire outbreak—coupled with smoke and smoldering odors—having a site-specific health and safety plan can mean the difference between a successful extinguishment and evacuation and experiencing loss of life or lasting injuries.
Join Forester University and returning speaker Dr. Tony Sperling, P.Eng., for this live, educational webinar detailing landfill fire health and safety issues, how to develop and implement a communications plan, and how to keep equipment operators and firefighters safe during a firefight.
We will start off by examining the scope and applicability of site health and safety plans. Within this discussion, we will investigate gases emitted and their effects, respiratory protection against airborne contaminants, personal protective equipment (PPE), and evacuations. We will then delve into communications systems and teach you how to develop and implement a successful communications plan among field teams that includes both verbal and non-verbal signs and signals.
Dr. Sperling will conclude the presentation by using the Delta Shake and Shingle Landfill Fire as a relevant case study involving the environmental and health risks of landfill fires and common challenges that occur when dealing with the aftermath without being prepared.
By participating in this webinar, attendees will:
- Examine key ways in which landfill fires impact health and safety
- Become familiar with the essential PPE required for all firefighting personnel, including equipment operators
- Understand the risks posed by the various gases typically encountered in smoke
- Review aspects of working safely around heavy equipment
- Explore the different methods of respiratory protection and when each may be appropriate
- Learn how to develop and implement a verbal and non-verbal communications plan
- Determine how to develop and apply an evacuation strategy for your site
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at email@example.com
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentation may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency has different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.