Programming Note: This course is Session 1 of our four-part Latest Advances in Landfill Fire Control Webinar Series that also includes Controlling the Burn: Landfill Fire Suppression Strategies, Protecting Your Team: Landfill Fire Health and Safety, and Only You Can Prevent Landfill Fires: Risk Reduction and Prevention BMPs. Sign up for the entire series to receive a built-in 20% discount and earn 4 PDH / 0.4 CEU!
Each landfill fire is unique and generally requires a custom-tailored suppression approach that takes into account site conditions, environmental factors, nature of fuel, quality of cover, availability of soil, and a myriad of other factors. Nevertheless, the same five-step systematic approach should be adopted on every single landfill fire response to keep your crews safe, minimize smoke impacts, and get the fire out as quickly as possible.
Join Forester University and returning speaker Dr. Tony Sperling, P.Eng., for this live, educational webinar focused on the planning of an effective landfill fire suppression response with examples and lessons from a number of recent case studies. This introductory course will provide a foundation for follow-up classes on landfill fire control, health and safety issues, and fire risk reduction.
In this session, you will learn the intricacies of the Five Step Method that includes:
- IC and Health and Safety
- Establishing Control
- Achieving Containment
- Extinguishing Fire
- Confirmation Monitoring
We will begin with a broad-stroke overview of the five key steps before drilling down into the planning of an effective and systematic response and the formulation of a solid fire response pre-plan. We will examine these concepts through the scope of two recent case studies, the Whitehorse Landfill Fire in 2018 and the Iqaluit Landfill Fire in 2014.
By participating in this webinar, attendees will:
- Learn the basics of Incident Command
- Examine the important elements of an effective Health and Safety Program
- Familiarize yourself with the four different types of landfill fires
- Determine what causes landfill fires and how they spread
- Understand why some types of landfills are at a higher risk of fires occurring
- Explore the most effective strategies for controlling landfill fires
- Become familiar with the basic methods of fire extinguishment
- Know the key components of an effective monitoring program
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at email@example.com
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentation may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency has different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.