While a well-designed sediment basin (i.e. sediment trap, pond, or containment system) is widely accepted as the most effective method for removing sediment from runoff waters, a misconception exists that a containment volume of 250 cubic meters/hectare (3,600 cubic feet/acre) is the most important parameter to consider for an effective structure.
So...what is the most critical parameter for an effective sediment basin?
Join veteran speaker and sediment containment luminary Jerry Fifield, Ph.D., PH, CPESC, CISEC, as we develop and evaluate “estimated” parameters of an effective sediment basin/trap design using science, mathematics, and engineering principles.
This advanced online training webinar will demonstrate that while runoff volume is important, discharge rates are more critical for effective sediment basins. In addition to discharge rates and runoff volume, the contributing soils, structural shape, particle diameter, internal flow length, fall distance, pond surface, and pond volume must also be incorporated into the design of a sediment basin.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following learning objectives.
- Learn how to develop a sediment basin detail that illustrates and addresses turbulent, laminar, and accelerated flow conditions.
- Understand why discharge rate is a critical parameter for the development of an effective sediment basin.
- Examine how to generate equations that “estimate” sediment basin parameters.
- Analyze why an adequate pond surface area is important in calculating sediment basin parameters.
- Explore results of climatic and runoff assessments for updated minimum runoff containment volumes applicable for different climatic regions.
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentation may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency has different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.