With the recent advancements in coupling solar/photovoltaic (PV) systems with energy storage, many organizations—from government to hospitals—are requiring interactive microgrid capability for their solar systems. The challenge? Providing reliable battery backup and energy storage capabilities for solar systems in a cost-effective way.
Join C. J. Colavito—PowerGen's 2014 Paper of the Year author—to explore solar microgrids with interactive battery bank installations, including: how they work, design considerations and specifications, implementation best practices, and how you can install a solar microgrid system with interactive energy storage at your site.
In this webcast, we'll explore the different types of solar microgrid with interactive battery bank installations, how each works, how it differs from inactive designs, and the pros and cons of each. Building on this discussion, we'll take a look at the key design, installation, and safety considerations and specifications for interactive solar microgrid systems (e.g., energy storage, site evaluation, calculations, point of interconnection, sequence of operations, etc.) and how these differ from grid-tied solar PV systems. Colavito will outline the step-by-step design and installation process and best practices for implementing a solar microgrid with interactive energy storage at your site. Additionally, we'll take a look at Colavito's lessons learned (in design, engineering, project management, logistics, and safety) from his recent interactive solar microgrid with interactive battery bank installation and the resulting best practices to apply to your project. Finally, we'll explore the financial opportunities of these systems to generate revenues, capture incentives, take advantage of federal tax credits, and create savings through the energy storage system.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following learning objectives:
- Learn how a solar microgrid with interactive battery bank installation is set up and works, and how it differs from inactive designs.
- Learn the main types of solar microgrid system configurations and the pros and cons of each.
- Understand the design, installation, and safety considerations and specifications (e.g., energy storage technology, site evaluation, capacity, etc.) that differ from grid-tied solar PV systems.
- Learn how to implement a solar microgrid with interactive battery bank at your site.
- Learn how to develop and use a sequence of operations (SOO) to manage project stakeholders and define performance goals.
- Gain the real-world lessons learned from a recent solar microgrid with interactive battery bank installation and the resulting best practices.
- Learn the key markets and incentive program opportunities (e.g., financial, tax credit, etc.).
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentation may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency has different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.