Do you know your RUSLE2?
Join Terry Toy and David Lightle as they discuss the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE2) and how you can utilize RUSLE2 to estimate erosion on construction sites based on the climate, soils, topography, surface cover, and management practices.
The Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE, ver. 2) offers you the ability to predict the long-term average rate of rill and interrill erosion by taking into account the climate, soils, topography, surface cover, and management practices at a construction site. Once determined, RUSLE2 offers the ability to manipulate these site characteristics to achieve the desired soil-erosion rate during the erosion-control planning process thus enabling erosion-control professionals to determine the optimum effective and cost-effective erosion-control design. That is, IF you're using the program correctly.
In this presentation, we'll cover the concepts behind and basic operation of the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE, ver. 2) program, and demonstrate how to navigate through and use RUSLE2 to calculate erosion estimates for a site. Within this discussion, we'll review the elements necessary for an accurate erosion estimate, where these are located within the RUSLE2 interface, and how to input these to characterize the erosional environment of the construction site. Additionally, Toy and Lightle will demonstrate how to quickly calculate erosion estimates for various scenarios, interpret the soil loss and sediment-yield outputs, and compare the erosion-control effectiveness of each practice and practice combination, as well as the cost and cost-effectiveness of each.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following learning objectives.
- Learn to navigate through the RUSLE2 program in a step-by-step fashion as the instructors demonstrate the operation of the program to calculate erosion estimates for a specific site.
- Learn the site characteristics that are necessary to make an erosion estimate for a site and which of these characteristics can be found within the program menus and which must be provided by the program user.
- Learn (through instructor demonstration) the contribution of RUSLE2 to erosion-control planning by quickly calculating erosion estimates for numerous erosion-control scenarios at a particular site. Understand that these scenarios then allow the user to compare the erosion-control effectiveness of various practices, and practice combinations, with the cost of these practices.
- Learn the versatility of RUSLE2 in providing erosion estimates tailored to their specific site characteristics through the use of management and practice menus especially prepared for construction sites and contained within the program.
Train Your Team
Get the whole team trained! We offer additional savings if you register as a group. For group pricing information, contact us at email@example.com
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15-20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentation may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency has different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this course allows you access to the presentation(s) for 6 months from the order date.