Jerald S. Fifield, Ph.D., CISEC, CPESC
, Tina Evans, PE, CISEC, CPESC
, & Brian McLane, P.E., CPESC
Course 1 - Selecting the Best ECBs & TRMs for Your Project
Erosion control blankets and turf reinforcement mats are an integral part of an effective sediment and erosion control plan…but they're not one size fits all.
Select the right rolled erosion control product (RECP) for your project! Join best-selling author and returning speakers, Jerald Fifield and Tina Evans, to explore the current erosion control blankets (ECBs) and turf reinforcement mats (TRMs) on the market (including their applications and limitations)…AND how you can assess and select the best product for your project.
In this webcast, we'll explore the erosion control blankets (ECBs) and turf reinforcement mats (TRMs) currently on the market, and assess their applications AND limitations. Within this discussion, Fifield and Evans will provide insight into the assessment and selection key elements (e.g., the different contributing materials, the importance of thickness, the use of substrate for hydraulic mulch, shear stress considerations, etc.), process steps and best practices, and ECB / TRM inspection requirements. In addition, Fifield and Evans will present examples demonstrating how to select the correct product to install in drainage channels for a "soft armoring" approach achieving sustainable stabilization.
Attendees of this webcast will walk away with the knowledge to thoroughly assess their rolled erosion control product (RECP) options and select the best solution for their project goals.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following:
- Learn the different types of RECP products that are available.
- Understand what is required to select a the right TRM for soft armoring.
- Identify and understand the limitations of RECPs.
- Learn the ECB and TRM inspection requirements.
Course 2 - Urban Erosion and Sediment Control
Controlling the erosion and sediment in urban areas can be challenging. Join Brian McLane to explore a new approach and the best practices in implementing erosion and sediment control (ESC) methods, practices, and applications in urban areas.
McLane will start the webcast with a discussion with how erosion and sediment transportation occurs and the basic terms used when discussing erosion and sediment plans. We’ll continue on to discuss how erosion and sedimentation differs from developed versus undeveloped land in terms of site hydrology, soils, site utility infrastructure, and impacts on the surrounding areas, with emphasis placed on the degradation of water bodies. And then, we’ll work through an example of the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE) showing the effects of erosion and sedimentation on a small construction site and the benefits that can occur with proper erosion and sediment controls.
Additionally, McLane will discuss the site restrictions that can occur on an urban site and how to help mitigate those issues. We’ll explore erosion and sediment techniques that can be applied to urban construction sites ranging from siltation fence to site dewatering, and the best practices of each. And we’ll finish our webcast with a discussion of concrete washout areas and the associated problems that can occur when proper procedures are not followed.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following learning objectives:
- Understanding of basic terms for erosion and sediment controls
- Understanding of the effects of erosion and sedimentation to the surrounding area of a construction site, specifically site hydrology, soils, site utility infrastructure and impacts on water bodies.
- Understanding of proper installation of erosion and sediment controls
- Understanding of how to select the right erosion and sediment control and what their purpose is.
* Presentations are scheduled for approximately one hour with a 15–20 minute question and answer session to follow. Presentation may exceed scheduled time.
* Each state and certification agency has different requirements; it is your responsibility to know what they are. Note that 1 PDH = 0.1 CEU.
* Purchase of this special allows you access to the presentations for 6 months from the order date.